AG2R CITROEN TEAM
AG2R CITROEN TEAM
This year is the 30th consecutive season for the team created by Vincent Lavenu in 1992. The oldest French squad in the peloton has had three main sponsors throughout its lifetime: Chazal, Casino and Ag2r. After twelve seasons competing as AG2R La Mondiale, it has now joined forces with the famous carmaker Citroën.
In 1998, the Estonian, Jaan Kirsipuu, started their tally of victories in La Vuelta, where they have already participated on up to 21 occasions. They would have to wait until 2006 for the Spaniard José Luis Arrieta to obtain the team’s second stage victory in the Spanish Tour, thanks to a long breakaway that ended in Ciudad Real. Nine years later, in 2015, the young rider Alexis Gougeard had a repeat of his success in Avila, earning a reputation as one of the French peloton’s greatest treasures. In 2016, Pierre Latour won on the top of the Alto de Aitana, and in 2018, Tony Gallopin and Alexandre Geniez enlarged the French team palmares with both stages victories in Pozo Alcón and Estaca de Bares. Though no rider managed to add any new stage victories to the team tally in 2019, Geoffrey Bouchard obtained the first King of the Mountain jersey for the French team following an exciting battle with Ángel Madrazo.
- Final victory0
- Stages victories6
- Red jersey0
- Other race Won1
Overall victories: 0
Stage victories: 6
- 1998: Jaan Kirsipuu, in Estepona.
- 2006: José Luís Arrieta, in Ciudad Real.
- 2015: Alexis Gougeard, in Ávila.
- 2016: Pierre Latour, at the top of the Alto de Aitana. Ejército del Aire.
- 2018: Tony Gallopin in Pozo Alcón and Alexandre Geniez at the Faro de Estaca de Bares. Mañón.
Leader jerseys: 0
Victories in secondary classifications:1
- 2019: Geoffrey Bouchard (mountain).
8: the years it took the team to win a second stage in La Vuelta after their first victory with Jan Kirsipuu in Estepona.
- September 6th 1997: First participation in La Vuelta with the Casino sponsoring.
- September 15th 2006: With 35 years and after 13 seasons as professional, José Luis Arrieta got the biggest victory of his career after outsprinting his breakaway companions.
- September 10th 2016: Pierre Latour outsprints Darwin Atapuma in the last meters of the uphill finish in Alto de Aitana.
Get exclusive information about La Vuelta