Running from Saturday August 25th to Sunday September 16th 2018, the Vuelta will be made up of 21 stages and will cover a total distance of 3254,7 kilometres.
- 6 flat stages and 2 flat with high-altitude finales stages
- 6 hill stages
- 5 mountain stages
- 2 individual time trial stages
Distinctive aspects of the race
- 40.7 km individual time trial
- 46 summits
- 2 rest days
30 VISITS TO MALAGA
The official departure of La Vuelta 2018 will be the Spanish tour’s 30th visit to the capital city of Malaga. The first one took place in 1936, during La Vuelta’s second edition, where it hosted both a finish-line following a departure from Seville, and a departure that headed towards Granada.
The race continues to have the same bonus points system that awards 10, 6 and 4 seconds to the first three riders in each stage, respectively, and 3, 2 and 1 seconds to the first three riders to complete each intermediate sprint.
In the Vuelta, not only the general classification is at stake, riders also fight to be first in the points classification, or to become King of the Mountain in each edition. Points are obtained through the following system: 25 points are given to the stage winner, 20 to the rider that takes second place, 16 to the rider that comes third, 14 to 4th place, 12 to 5th place and then from 10 to 1 point between 6th and 15th place, respectively. Intermediate sprints award 4, 2 and 1 points to the first three riders to complete each one.
19 new start and new finish cities
- Alhaurín de la Torre (finish of Stage 3)
- Vélez-Málaga (start of Stage 4)
- Alfacar. Sierra de la Alfaguara (finish of Stage 4)
- Huércal-Overa (start of Stage 6)
- San Javier. Mar Menor (finish of Stage 6)
- Pozo Alcón (finish of Stage 7)
- Almadén (finish of Stage 8)
- Fermoselle. Bermillo de Sayago (finish of Stage 10)
- Mombuey (start of Stage 11)
- Mondoñedo (start of Stage 12)
- Faro de Estaca de Bares. Mañón (finish of Stage 12)
- Candás. Carreño (start of Stage 13)
- Les Praeres. Nava (finish of Stage 14)
- Ribera de Arriba (start of Stage 15)
- Santillana del Mar (start of Stage 16)
- Getxo (start of Stage 17)
- Balcón de Bizkaia (finish of Stage 17)
- Ejea de los Caballeros (start of Stage 18)
- Alcorcón (start of Stage 21)